Thursday, May 10, 2012

Love those greys! and Make it Monday - Faux Chevron die cuts

So, do any of you have an obsession with something in your crafting arsenal?  For some, it's bling, for others it's inks ... some people love a multitude of flower stamps, animals or bicycles.  I love background sets, anything grid/text/ledger etc.  I also love alphabet sets so I can make my own sentiments and I must say, I have quite the stash of floral images.  :)

I also love all shades of grey ....  I continue to search for that elusive mid shade of cardstock but have quite my share of grey inks.  I decided to stamp them out side by side (rather than my usual way of indexing my inks by company).  Check out the comparison of them to see their tones:
With slightly different lighting:
Gotta be upfront here - I rarely get to take pictures during daylight hours since I'm not usually home so the lighting is not the best - my apologies!  I think I need to make some sort of lightbox but for the time being, this is what I've got ...  At any rate, it is quite interesting to see the greys all together as Jenni Bowlin's weather vane looks almost greyish blue here.  Really, it doesn't have that much of a blue tint on its own but with these more neutral greys, you can see the undertones.


I made a card the other day for this week's  Make it Monday over at Papertrey using patterned paper scraps to create a background:
I really want some chevron dies (hint hint to the Papertrey designers) but until then, I have to improvise.  So I stamped my Chevron stamp strips on the back of various scraps of patterned papers from Basic Grey and then made a background with them.  I just cut along the lines to achieve some faux chevron strips.  I lined up the bottom edge with the bottom of the back panel of the card so that it is flush and will stand up.
I love the combination of greys with pale pink so I die cut Sweet Blush card stock with the Alpha dies from PTI and mounted them with foam adhesive. 
A closeup at a slight angle ... I love these papers ....  Basic Grey has some of the most beautiful patterned paper around, I must say!  And the nice thing is the 6x6 pads they sell are scaled down versions of the 12x12 so the patterns are perfect for card makers.

Oh, and you can't tell very easily from this picture, but I inked the whole panel of one with Versamark and clear embossed it for a little something extra.

Dawn McVey has inspired me to use more of my scraps.  Thanks, Dawn! :)
Here is her video:



Supplies:
Chevron hi
Paper: Basic Grey 6x6 patterned paper (Ambrosia and Cappella), PTI Smokey Shadow and Sweet Blush
Stamps: PTI Chevron Strips (for creating the chevron pattern)
Misc: PTI Alpha dies, foam dots


5 comments:

Mayol said...

Great chevron card, Cara! And now PTI will release their chevron stripes dies - Yaaaaay!

Cassi said...

great take on the MIM -- so excited to see PTI's chevron coming this month!

Suzanne Russell said...

Love your card! Ask and ye shall receive-the chevron dies are being released on the 15th!!!

Leigh Penner said...

Great homemade chevron strips, Cara! I'm guessing you'll be ordering the new PTI dies, then, eh?

Taheerah said...

Great card Cara, I love those bold chevron stripes and all the mix of greys! Thanks for leaving some love on my blog!